Thursday, September 15, 2016

Power of Belief

Intro

Today I want to discuss how our beliefs are essential for living. I used to question the nature of why people needed to believe in all powerful beings. There are tribes that exist that potentially don't believe in the supernatural like the Piraha Tribe. But I have come to realize the rationalization in believing. I believe that thoughts calm down and migrate to the unconscious when faith is present biologically in a person.

People generally start forming beliefs by looking through things through their eyes. So I was naturally curious in how our belief system evolved to entail so many bizarre unobservable phenomenons. It was very interesting to realize that beliefs are what keeps the conscious mind from going out of focus. I believe one needs to have trust in the laws of nature in order to maintain a homeostasis in the mind. The conscious mind is a curious little thing that meshes together all the monotony of life and then it gives us thoughts. 

Priming

We live in a world where information is growing in exponential abundance. But that also means we are being primed by more and more people everyday, whether that’s by social media, television, or by your local peers at your favorite restaurant. So "how does this relate to consciousness?" you say, I think it’s very very important to our rationalization of reality. Whether we like to believe it or not, I think words linger in our memory based on the recency effect. The association of words is a rather complex subject that potentially, from my perspective, has exponential theories. But I believe that words affect the consciousness in very realistic ways. The conscious mind is not our primary organ through which we evaluate the world. It is theoretically said that our frontal lobe develops at the age of 25. I believe, as recent research in neuroscience has proven, that the conscious mind can evolve even further. That means, because of plasticity, we can develop new neurons and ideas even as we become older. Age is a number that’s been created to evaluate time. The evaluation of time is a crucial element in understanding our reality. But that also limits our potentiality to people who fall into the paradigm shift of a concrete beginning and an ending.

Believing through Seeing

Naturally, seeing, at least I believe, is one of the most primary methods of evaluating the world. What we see can further include the integration of the functions of our senses. And when the senses combine together to create thoughts, we also see our perception of selective reality. It amused me to find out, when I read Mastery and Daniel Everett, the Piraha Tribe don’t have collective knowledge of the past. So they evaluate the world from their senses. They don’t record anything about life in literature, at least from my understanding. So their beliefs are formed by the perception of the space that they live in. They have the skills necessary to live but at the same time they don’t consciously complicate life to the extent that the rest of the industrialized nations have. I believe their consciousness is very complex for the tasks that they do, but I also think they probably have more systems for understanding sounds than us. At least that’s how it looks from the distance.

Believing through Religion

I believe religion has profound significance to the conscious mind. As a person that has been exposed to several religions, I see the value and community religion provides. It’s a form of seeing the world when nothing else can logically provide answers. Thus when something becomes impossible to logically solve, the only next solution is having faith in the process of life. When an individual goes too far into rationalizing without having a grounded faith, then reality starts to distort itself. I truly believe that people are meant to believe so the consciousness can focus on the more important things in life. When food and shelter are within our reach, the next step to a curious mind is belief. When belief is met in a logical sense, then the potential of the world becomes limitless.

Belief in Languages

This is something that’s been popping up in the back of my mind. So I’m going to start investigating similarities in languages in regards to the formation of belief. I think it has to deal with how traditionally languages have become mixed in our history. So I’m just curious if there are similarities. From my perspective, our unconscious, or our fight or flight mode depends on our ability to distinguish sound automatically. So association does play a role in our perception of reality. Thus what pops up in our mind during instant moments is crucial for our survival. I believe language also evolved in similar levels even in different languages.

Similarities in language:

Words: 

English:
To see, To understand, To believe, To give

Bangla:  
দেখা (deka), বুজা (buja), বিশ্বাস করা (bichash kora) , দাওয়া (dawa)

Japanese
見る (miru), 分かる (wakaru), 信じる (shinjiru), あげる (ageru), くれる(kureru)

No comments:

Post a Comment