Monday, September 5, 2016

Gratitude

After two full years, I finally feel pretty content. This may be a very general statement, but I have only thought about my personal afflictions for the past two years. I forgot to be grateful for everything I had. I thought about the worst-case scenarios rather than all the opportunities that reality is filled with. In an earlier blog, I reasoned that taking a different perspective was a very difficult task because of the unconscious hierarchies that are ingrained in our brain since childhood. However, coming to a conclusion, I think gratitude and believing in the innocence of mankind is what will ultimately lead to a healthy life. 

The definition of healthy is something I would like to dive into. I always thought reason was the main tool for understanding reality. But that’s a very rigid perception of life. In my opinion, I believe there are way too many layers of thoughts that are sprinkled throughout the unconscious. And when certain thoughts will pop up in the consciousness is something only “god” knows. I have questioned the concept of a higher being for a long time. But I’m starting to believe that there is a force that comes through reality by just the concept of believing. And when I say “god”, in this sense, I’m talking about the complexity of how the frontal lobe integrates thoughts from all the other lobes.

A few years earlier, I realized that monkeys and some other mammals do have the concept of consciousness. Though their ability to abstractly think is very limited compared to humans. I started wondering, “how did language evolve?” Until recently, I wasn’t very sure about this. A lot of animals, like baboons and monkeys, have a social hierarchy that allows for many types of communication. Robert Sapolsky is an evolutionary behavior expert that studied baboons for over 20 years. His understanding of how animals behave in a social hierarchy is very illuminating. From his lecture on youtube, I’ve realized understanding the human consciousness could take longer than we currently imagine. Because the questions that are answered in Psychology always lead to thousands of more questions. The evolution of virtual reality is another concept that could change the logic of reality.

So back to the question of "what is healthy?” I believe it’s healthy to forget things. When the consciousness becomes super occupied with a task, the conscious tends to forget things that are not relevant. I would never want to remember everything, that’s why having faith, I think, is crucial for survival. Thinking too far into the future could hurt our current society. Thinking about trips to Mars is something that could illuminate what is possible to a whole new level. But thinking that far, I think, makes us very fallible. Living for the moment becomes a distant memory. When one thinks too far into the future, the enjoyment that the current moment can provide dissipates. 

Anyways, that’s why I’ve decided to stop questioning reality and start living it. In school, I learned the benefits of having a critical mind. What I didn’t learn was the concept of being grateful for this moment that I have. I kind of wish recess continued till the end of high school. That would have been great. After losing recess in 7th grade, reality started changing for me. But I digress, I’m grateful for having this outlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment