Friday, July 22, 2016

Architecture's Nature

Role of Architecture

Roots

Tin House
Skyscrapers
When I first started studying architecture, all I wanted was to build homes for people. Architecture is definitely a lot better in America than in Bangladesh. I grew up in Bangladesh, a very poor country compared to the rest of the world. When I first saw architecture in America, at the age of 8, I was astounded by the height, the sheer magnitude of design everywhere. Even roads were designed. I didn’t know the complexity of any of this when I first started studying architecture.

I started architecture because of a small carrom board that I built senior year of high school. I loved the flow that came with building something. I knew that I wanted to stick with something that allowed me to focus and grow. And I thought architecture was the perfect medium to focus that energy. And I was right to an extent. Architecture school has taught me something that I will never forget for the rest of my life. I discovered that architecture isn’t actually about just building in the real world. It’s actually about persuasion. I was stubborn enough that I was sure I could persuade anyone as long as I worked hard enough. And that is how I got a bachelor of science in architecture without actually learning anything about architecture.

Analysis

This realization may be surprising to some, “how did you spend four years without learning anything about architecture?” That’s a question that might pop up in people’s head. But I’m convinced to a large extent that this is reality for architecture, at least if you’re only getting a 4 year bachelors. However, you will learn how to persuade people to a large extent by learning about the design process. You may not know how to apply that design persuasion in everyday life in the beginning, but as you grow, you will realize how many more ideas you have as a result of studying design. As for me, I didn’t think I was qualified technically, I couldn’t even get a good job in architecture design when I got out of college. I settled for a job where I thought learning more technical aspects of architecture would do me some good. And I worked for around 6 months trying to understand how foundations work, the concept of framing plans, and using section cuts to determine materiality position. The job, however, was not stimulating at all. The stimulation that architecture school provided was something that I started craving. I wasn’t satisfied with just knowing where things go, I wanted to design and implement ideas for why things go in different places. So I left my job with an understanding that I would take some time off to refocus what I wanted to do. I was not enjoying the process anymore so that convinced me it was better to pursue other opportunities.

During this past year, I’ve come to this realization that design matters, and it's applications are boundless. Now back to the topic of "what is the role of architecture?” I think architecture school is great, it does teach you some life skills that will be paramount to survival in the long term. However, the methodology behind how other classes are taught with foundation has to change. Looking back, I didn’t use any calculus or physics that I learned in college in my studio courses. I think that’s a huge mistake because what we learn isn’t actually implemented but rather imputed into our brain as a way to say that “here you go, you need to know this,” but you’ll never use it. I don’t think that should be the role of architecture school. The role of architecture school should not be just about persuasive design but also to develop that design so that the structure actually has some foundational sense. Thus knowing how your design is actually built should also be a bigger part of the curriculum. But a semester is too short for any of this to happen. Each semester passes without developing enough fundamental ideas. That’s how I felt for the 3rd and 4th year of architecture school. And this was especially true when I went to Tokyo. 


Predictions

Guggenheim Museum Bilbao
Toyo Ito Library
The main topic of what is the actual role of architecture has to deal with people. Ultimately, it’s the people that determine what a building is for. With advancing technologies that are capable of making any shapes. the perception of what is the norm will have to change. People need to understand that architecture isn’t just about boxed spaces. It’s about interacting with space in a way where the body can glide and perform all the activities that a body needs to perform. My initial perception of architecture, from tin houses to massive skyscrapers, have all been destroyed. I believe that architecture should be more organic in shape. It should act as boundaries to accommodate activities. I think architects like Frank Gehry and Toyo Ito are playing that role. Thanks to Gehry’s Bilbao, the idea of an icon is also changing. The complexity of shapes that come out through Gehry’s work exemplifies what is capable with modern technology. The magnificent thresholds that come through Ito’s work also show the power of organic openings. I think the role of architecture ultimately is to mimic nature so that the body can fluidly move without any hindrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment