Thursday, July 21, 2016

Pokemon GO


Pokemon GO Thoughts and Tangents


In the last few weeks Pokemon GO has started dominating the world. This Pokemon phenomenon is an interesting adaptation of modern society. This is from a 25 year old who grew up playing Pokemon. I think society has started adapting to the digital age in a new profound way. And this is just the beginning of how society will proceed into the future.

I used to play a lot of games when I was younger. Pokemon Ruby was one of the first games I played. And I was absolutely hooked at that time. As I  grow older, I’ve realized the initial exploration that was so profound when I was around 10 has started to dissipate. I think that’s because real life takes over and the initial excitement isn’t really exciting anymore when you think about all the other things you have to do. Thus I haven’t played the newest generation. And I don’t even know if I’m going to play Pokemon Sun and Moon.

However, Pokemon Go has changed my attitude towards whether I’ll play Pokemon in the future. Pokemon Go’s augmented reality has placed a new meaning behind catching Pokemon. Just by the sheer fact that the Pokemon is superimposed in your environment recreates the nostalgic memory of my childhood. "They’re real man," that’s the reaction that captivates my mind again. This excitement is allowing millions of adults to go back to their childhood. And I think that’s exciting for the future. And because it’s in the real world, adults are actually running around outside and catching Pokemon.

One of the problems that the modern age has brought upon the world is car traffic. I think the highway system that has arisen in the last 100 years is a huge problem to society as it grows in population. And people just drive everywhere because all the destinations are so far way. Roads have taken so much space that it’s ludicrous. But this is in Pokemon tangent, so I’ll leave with this. I want to believe that by allowing people to wonder around the world, Pokemon Go and it’s successors will allow the world to change in a way where people can walk everywhere. If people explore their neighborhood because of Augmented Reality, the pathways have to change to accommodate the walking people. People didn’t originally have cars, thus people are meant to walk. Road systems have to accommodate transitioning people, not cars.

With that, I will begin my journey into writing. Pokemon Go is a catalyst for change. I believe anything can happen, but why not create that future by putting thoughts into words. I hope I can keep writing and I want to hope that Pokemon changes the world for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment